“Volunteering in hospice has made me grateful for even the small things in my life." ~ EvergreenHealth Hospice Volunteer.
Volunteers are integral members of the hospice care team and help support patients and their families. Our specially trained volunteers assist staff and welcome guests at the hospice care center in Kirkland and visit patients who live at home or in facilities in communities throughout King and Snohomish Counties.
What would you do as a hospice volunteer? Hold a hand, watch television, listen to music or sing old songs, cook a meal, do some light housekeeping, listen to someone’s life story, run errands, go for a walk or wheelchair stroll, give an exhausted caregiver a short break. It’s the simple act of just showing up that can make a difference.
Volunteers are trained and supported by the volunteer coordinators and the hospice team.
Steps to becoming a hospice care volunteer
- If you have experienced a loss, we ask that you wait a full year before beginning this process.
- Be at least 21 years old
- Time commitment of one year; weekly commitment varies by position
- Complete a free health clearance at EvergreenHealth, including:
- 2-step TB skin test
- Tdap (whooping cough) booster
- two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccinations OR positive blood titers
- two Varicella (chicken pox) vaccinations OR a positive blood titer
- Hepatitis B series and a positive blood titer
- current flu shot documentation
- medical contraindications can be discussed with Employee Health
- Submit our online application*
- Provide two personal (non-family) or professional references
- Complete an interview. Paperwork at that time will include providing Social Security and driver's license numbers.
- Pass Washington State Patrol and nationwide background checks
- Complete the 3-day Hospice Volunteer Core Training and required position-specific training
- If your position requires driving, your driving record must be reviewed and approved
- Complete a free health clearance at EvergreenHealth.
* If you are unable to submit an application online, please email us at LstHospiceVolunteers@evergreenhealth.com or call 425.899.1070 and we will have an application packet mailed to you.
Interested in learning more about hospice volunteering?
We're happy to answer your questions about becoming a volunteer at EvergreenHealth Hospice! You can call us at 425.899.1040 or submit your questions via our online form.
Read about one hospice volunteer's training, and how he helps those at the end of life.
Learn more about our hospice volunteer program in this story from Natural Awakenings magazine (go to page 13).