Type Of Medications:
- Atorvastatin (Lipitor)
- Fluvastatin (Lescol)
- Lovastatin (Mevacor)
- Pravastatin (Pravachol)
- Simvastatin (Zocor)
- Remember: These medicines are not a substitute for a heart healthy diet! They are only about half as effective on a high saturated fat diet.
- If you are taking only one pill each day, it is usually most effective if you take it in the evening, with your meal or at bedtime
- Treatment is usually long-term. When your cholesterol reaches a healthy level, you will still need to take your medication. If you stop taking it, your cholesterol will rise again
- Do not drink more than 8 oz. of grapefruit juice within 8 hours of taking a statin medication.
Possible Side Effects
Side effects with this medication are rare—less than 3 out of 100 people taking these medications will have any of these side effects.
However, if you experience any of these symptoms, report them to your doctor.
- Severe muscle soreness or weakness (rare)
- Nausea or abdominal discomfort
- Liver irritation (uncommon)
- General fatigue (tiredness)
Liver function tests will be checked at 6 weeks after beginning or changing therapy and then yearly.