Six Minute Walk Test
The six minute walk test helps determine your aerobic endurance.
The test will take about 30 minutes to complete.
You will walk on a hard level surface, covering as much ground as you can in those 6 minutes.
Your therapist will carefully monitor you throughout the walk.
Special Preparations (day of test):
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to your appointment
- Bring your insurance card and any physician orders
- Wear comfortable shoes and loose clothing
- Bring your usual walking aid (cane or walker)
- Remove nail polish from at least one finger (for quality pulse oximetry readings)
- 2-4 hours prior to test: avoid strenuous exercise and avoid eating large a meal
- Oxygen may be applied during the walk if indicated