The Rehabilitation Department at the Booth Gardner Parkinson's Care Center provides comprehensive care to patients with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders, such as parkinsonism, dystonia, progressive supranuclear palsy, multi-system atrophy.
Our team includes physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and neuropsychological services. We work closely with the movement disorders neurologists, physicians assistant, nurse practitioner and other staff members to provide the highest level of care to our patients to assist them with maintaining an independent lifestyle with a focus on improving quality of life.
We work alongside the medical team in providing comprehensive care that focuses on independence and wellness for patients dealing with Parkinson's disease or movement disorders and their families.
- Assess the ability to perform functional mobility (bed mobility, transfers, gait) in a safe and independent manner
- Assess the need for an assistive device for transfers or gait (transfer pole, cane, walker (4-wheeled walker, U-step walker), manual wheelchair, power wheelchair, electric scooter)
- Assess strength and range of motion
- Assess balance and risk for falls
- Develop a home exercise program targeting specific needs and limitations
- Assess challenges with self care tasks : i.e., grooming, dressing, bathing etc. and make recommendations for assistive devices and home modifications.
- Look at Activities of Daily Living such as homemaking, money management, medication management, day planner use and teach compensatory techniques.
- Screen for deficits in cognition and visual skills that would affect a persons activities of daily living and work on compensatory techniques.
- Assess range of motion, muscle strength, coordination and core strength as well as fatigue challenges.
- Provide a home exercise program to work on improving any areas of concern.
- For fatigue challenges instruct in energy conservation, work simplification and building a daily routine to allow the person to get done what needs to be done.
- Perform clinical driving evaluations. This assessment is not an on the road evaluation.
Speech and Language Pathology
- Assess and treat decreased volume and provide LSVT Loud treatment
- Assess and treat swallowing issues
- Assess and treat memory, word finding, and cognitive changes
- Assess and treat speech, voice, and communication changes
- Assess and provide assistance in obtaining augmentative (high or low tech) communication systems
- Provide coping/counseling to Parkinson's patients and their caregivers/spouse
- Perform psychological and cognitive evaluations
- Provide psychological adjustment due to the chronic and progressive nature of the disease.
- Provide rehabilitation planning
Are you looking for solutions to alleviate the effects of Parkinson's disease or another movement disorder?
- Talk with your health care provider about a referral to EvergreenHealth Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Call us directly at 425.899.3100
Ask your provider to complete and sign our referral form.