Red Yeast Rice (Monascus Purpureaus)
- Patients taking other cholesterol-lowering medications should consult a healthcare provider before taking red yeast rice-containing products.
- Red yeast rice contains the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor mevinolin; therefore should not be taken at the same time as prescription HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) as this may result in excessive levels of this cholesterol-lowering substance.
- Due to the presence of mevinolin in red yeast rice, users should consider undergoing periodic monitoring of liver function.
- Individuals with a history of liver disease and pregnant or lactating women should consult their healthcare provider prior to taking this product.
- Red Yeast Rice is contraindicated in individuals with a hypersensitivity or allergy to rice or yeast.
Possible Side Effects
- Heartburn, abdominal discomfort or bloating
- Body aches or stiffness
- This supplement is generally well tolerated.
- If you develop severe muscle pain, tenderness or weakness, especially if associated with flu-like symptoms, stop red yeast rice and call your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
- Avoid grapefruit juice or excessive alcohol while taking red yeast rice.
- Dosage: Each tablet contains 600 mg of Red Yeast Rice. Take 2 tablets (1200mg) twice a day.
Where to Buy
Cholestene™ by High Performance Formulas is recommended and available at:
Since the FDA does not regulate nutritional supplements, other formulations of red yeast rice may or may not be as effective as the High Performance Formulas brand.