Questions to Ask When Selecting an OB or Midwife
Recommendations from family and friends is a great place to start your search for an OB or a midwife.
Once you've narrowed down your search, you'll want to meet with each provider.
Use these questions to make sure the relationship is "a fit".
About their Qualifications
- Are you board certified or credentialed?
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many babies do you deliver in a month?
About Routine Practices
- What are your fees for office visits and delivery?
- What are your views on weight gain, nutrition and exercise during pregnancy?
- What prenatal tests do you do routinely, and why?
- What kinds of procedures do you routinely order for women in labor (IV's, medications, etc.)?
- What percentage of your patients are induced, and what are the main reasons?
- What percentage of your patients are delivered by C-section?
- What is the scheduled length of your office visits?
- To whom should I address questions between office visits?
- At what point during my labor will you arrive?
- How likely is it that you will be there for my birth? May I meet the others who may be there if you're not?
- What is your philosophy about childbearing and birth?
- What role do your patients play in making decisions about their own care?
Still need help finding a maternity provider?
The EvergreenHealth Nurse Navigator & Healthline at 425.899.3000 will be happy to assist you in finding a provider who meets your needs and insurance coverage.