If you’re thinking about getting pregnant but are concerned about a medical issue or possibly passing genetic abnormalities to your child, a prenatal consultation could be very helpful.
Typical reasons to seek a perinatal consultation include, but are not limited to:
- Pre-existing maternal illnesses
- Risk of pregnancy loss
- Preterm labor
- Blood disorders
- Kidney disease
- Multiple gestations
- Possible genetically inherited disorders
Possible Genetic Abnormalities
Couples who are thinking about having a child may consider genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis before conception to predict any possible inherited disorders, such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Huntington's disease.
People who are at increased risk of passing genetic abnormalities on to their children include:
- People with Jewish ancestry, who may have a high risk of having children with Tay-Sachs or Canavan disease, metabolic disorders that lead to death in early childhood.
- People with African-American ancestry, who may risk passing on sickle-cell anemia to their children.
- People with Asian or Mediterranean ancestry, who are at increased risk of having children with thalassemia, a severe form of anemia.
- People with family histories of inherited disorders, or those who have previously had children with genetic disorders.
- Women who were exposed to medications or substances that could cause birth defects.
- Women with prior medical conditions or diseases that may affect their fetus, such as diabetes.
- Couples who share a common ancestor.
- Women with a history of multiple miscarriages.
- Couples who have family members with birth defects or severe developmental problems.
Our prenatal consultation includes a review of your medical records and your medical history. If needed, you will have an examination or ultrasound.
There will also be plenty of time for discussion of your concerns, any normal or abnormal conditions, what the information means to you and your pregnancy, and what your options are moving forward.
To schedule your prenatal consultation, call 425.899.2200.