Financial Assistance & Charity Care
If you may have trouble paying for your health care, please talk with us. Providing health care to those who can't afford to pay is part of our mission; we are committed to ensuring you get the care you need regardless of your ability to pay.
When possible, we encourage you to ask for financial help before receiving medical treatment. You may qualify for free or discounted care based on family size and income, even if you have health insurance.
What is charity care?
Charity care is a way to help low income individuals and families pay for medical services.
It provides either free care or reduced-price care, depending on your income.
Read the EvergreenHealth Charity Care Policy (PDF)
What does charity care cover?
For emergency and other appropriate hospital-based services at EvergreenHealth, we provide free care and financial assistance/charity care to eligible patients on a sliding fee scale basis, with discounts ranging from 25% to 100%.
Who is eligible for charity care?
- The patient requesting charity care must be a Washington State resident. For purposes of this policy, a patient is considered a resident of Washington if (a) the patient is not entering Washington State solely for the purpose of seeking medical care, and (b) prior to the beginning of the course of care, the patient’s primary residence is located in the State of Washington. Exceptions to the Washington State residency requirement in the Charity Care Policy are:
A patient who has an emergency medical condition, consistent with applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
A refugee, asylee, or a person seeking asylum who possesses and can present United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation.
- The patient's income is within EvergreenHealth’s Poverty Guidelines (see EvergreenHealth's Sliding Fee Schedule A (PDF)) which are based on the Federal Poverty Guideline.
- The patient has been screened and determined ineligible for Medicaid or other state programs.
- The patient must first exhaust all other funding sources for which the patient may be eligible.
EvergreenHealth does not discriminate based on age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, handicap or disability.
How do I apply?
You may apply to receive financial assistance/charity care by submitting an application and providing supporting documentation.
If you have questions, need help, or would like to receive an application form or more information, please contact us:
- When you are checking in or checking out of the hospital
- By telephone: (425) 899-1616
- In person: financial counselors are available Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m., located in Blue 1-105 at EvergreenHealth Medical Center
- By completing the Charity Care/Financial Assistance Application Form (PDF)
(All required fields must be filled out in order to be considered for charity)
- To obtain the application form via mail free of charge, write us at:
ATTN: Patient Financial Services
12040 NE 128th St
Kirkland, WA 98034
If you have questions regarding EvergreenHealth’s Charity Care Program or the Confidential Financial form, please contact EvergreenHealth’s Charity Care Line at (425) 899-1616.
If English is Not Your First Language: Translated versions of the application form are available in Spanish. EvergreenHealth also offers telephonic interpreter services in 180+ languages for onsite assistance.
Coverage assistance: You may be eligible for other government and community programs. We can help you learn whether these programs (including Medicaid/Apple Health and Veterans Affairs benefits) can help cover your medical bills. We can help you apply for these programs.
Uninsured discounts: We offer a discount for patients who do not have health insurance coverage. Please contact us about our discount program.
Payment plans: Any balance for amounts owed by you is due within 30 days. The balance can be paid in any of the following ways: credit card, payment plan, cash, check, or online bill pay. If you need a payment plan, please call the number on your billing statement.
Emergency care: EvergreenHealth has a dedicated emergency department and provides care for emergency medical conditions (as defined by the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act) without discrimination consistent with available capabilities, without regard to whether or not a patient has the ability to pay or is eligible for financial assistance.