Set Your Location to See Relevant Information

Setting your location helps us to show you nearby providers and locations based on your healthcare needs.

older asian couple

Contact the Advance Care Planning Team

If you have questions or would like more information, email the Advance Care planning team. 

Healthcare Directive (Living Will)

What if you were suddenly ill or injured and unable to communicate?

What medical treatments would you want to receive and what medical treatments would you want to avoid?

The Health Care Directive (commonly known as a "living will") is the legal document that allows you to answer these questions in writing.

There are several different formats you can use to document your wishes. Here are two options that are legal in Washington state:

The Health Care Directive (PDF)

Advanced Directive (PDF)

The Health Care Directive must be signed by you and two witnesses who are not related to you and will not inherit anything from you. You can change or revoke this directive at any time.

What To Do With This Form

The Advance Directive is a legal document once it has been completely filled out and signed with the appropriate signatures.

Signed copies of the completed directives should be included in your medical record, given to any person to whom you give your durable power of attorney — including any alternate people you may have named — and to your personal attorney.

Originals should be kept by someone you trust and who can obtain them in an emergency.