You have the right to choose whether to be listed in the hospital's patient directory.
If you do choose to be in the patient directory:
- Under HIPAA, if a person inquires about you by your name, hospital staff may release your location and a one-word condition.
- No other information may be released without your written consent.
If you choose not to be in the patient directory:
- Your name will not show up as a patient in the patient information system.
- Anyone who comes to the hospital or calls for you will be told that you are not a patient.
- Flowers and mail will be returned to the sender.
- You should notify family and friends of your room number if you would like them to visit you; they will not be able to get that information at the Information Desk.