The Rehabilitation Department at the EvergreenHealth Neurological Care's MS Center provides comprehensive care to patients with multiple sclerosis and other similar disease (i.e. transverse myelitis, neuromyelitis optica).
Our team includes physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and neuropsychological services. We work closely with the MS Center's neurologists, physiatrist and other staff members to provide the highest level of care to MS patients to assist them with maintaining an independent lifestyle with a focus on improving quality of life.
- Assess the ability to perform functional mobility (bed mobility, transfers, gait) in a safe and independent manner
- Does MS interfere with mobility? Assess the need for an assistive device for transfers or gait (transfer pole, cane, walker, manual wheelchair, power wheelchair, electric scooter
- Assess strength and range of motion
- Assess balance and risk for falls (link to Gait and Balance)
- Develop a home exercise program targeting your specific needs
- Assess challenges with self care tasks: i.e., grooming, dressing, bathing etc. and make recommendations for assistive devices and home modifications.
- Look at Activities of Daily Living such as homemaking, money management, medication management, day planner use and teach compensatory techniques.
- Screen for deficits in cognition and visual skills that would affect a persons activities of daily living and work on compensatory techniques.
- Assess range of motion, muscle strength, coordination and core strength as well as fatigue challenges.
- Provide a home exercise program to work on improving any areas of concern.
- For fatigue challenges instruct in energy conservation, work simplification and building a daily routine to allow the person to get done what needs to be done.
- Perform driving evaluations (this is not an on-the-road driving evaluation)
Speech and Language Pathology
- Assess and treat swallowing issues
- Assess and treat higher level memory and cognitive changes
- Assess and treat changes in speech, voice, communication strategies, and augmentative (high or low tech) communication systems
- Provide coping/counseling to MS patients and their caregivers/spouse
- Perform psychological and cognitive evaluations
- Provide psychological adjustment due to the chronic and progressive nature of the disease.
- Provide rehabilitation planning
- Talk with your health care provider about a referral to EvergreenHealth Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Call us directly at 425.899.3100
Ask your provider to complete and sign our referral form.