Indirect Calorimetry (Resting Metabolic Study)
This test measures oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide at rest to determine your metabolic rate.
You will be asked to rest comfortably in a reclined chair next to the equipment.
A mask will be fitted, along with a finger sensor, to monitor oxygen levels and heart rate.
For best results, remaining in a relaxed state for 20-30 minutes will provide your physician with useful information related to your caloric requirements.
The test takes 45 minutes.
Special preparations: (day of test)
- Avoid eating on the morning of the test.
- Avoid exercising for up to 14 hours prior to the test
- Avoid nicotine consumption forat least 1-2 hours prior to the test
- Avoid taking nutritional supplements or medication that contain ephedra or pseudoephedrine for at least 2 hours prior to the test.
- No caffeine or caffeinated beverages for at least 4 hours prior to the test.
- Dress in comfortable clothes