Hospital Volunteers - Kirkland
Steps to Becoming a Hospital Volunteer
- Be at least 16 years old*
- Time commitment of six months, with at least one 3-4 hour shift a week
- Pass Washington State Patrol and nationwide background checks
(please note that our application process has changed)
- Submit the online application including your health information as described below. Hospital volunteer applicants will not be able to move forward in the application process until we receive all of the needed immunization and TB confirmation. We cannot accept partial submissions of all needed immunization and TB confirmation.
- When the health information has been reviewed, we will contact for an interview. Note: some interviews will be group interviews.
- Bring a letter of recommendation to your scheduled interview. Click here for the letter requirements.
- Complete an interview
- Pass Washington State Patrol background check
- Attend orientation
* If you are unable to submit an application online, call 425.899.1994 and we will have an application packet mailed to you.
Required Immunizations and Tuberculosis Screenings for all EvergreenHealth Volunteers
Employee Health requires the following immunizations prior to starting to volunteer:
Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
- Two vaccines spaced at least 30 days apart and after 1 year of age. Positive antibody titers may be accepted in lieu of vaccinations.
Varicella (Chicken pox)
- Two vaccines spaced at least 30 days apart and after 1 year of age, or history of disease. Positive antibody titers may be accepted in lieu of vaccinations.
Tetanus Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis (Tdap)
- A Tdap booster is also required in addition to the initial immunization. Booster must be received between 2005 to present.
Two Tuberculosis tests placed at least one week apart and completed within three weeks total
- Clinical volunteers also have annual TB testing and annual blood borne pathogen training.
EvergreenHealth's Employee Health department does not provide immunizations for volunteer applicants.
If you are unable to locate some or all of your required immunization records, you will need to re-take the vaccination(s), possibly at a cost. Contact your primary doctor or local pharmacy for more information.
- Valid documentation of Immunizations including month, day and year for each immunization.
- TB screens must show date of placement and date of read and result must be indicated in numeric value such as “0.0 mm”.
- Handwritten records must be verified by the provider’s signature and must show the clinic/health facility or health department obtained from.
- Any request for required vaccine(s) exemption must be evaluated and coordinated by Employee Health. Individuals who have their request disapproved must be vaccinated by their primary care provider and provide documentation or will not be allowed to work/volunteer at EvergreenHealth.
- Records/reports from occupational or employee health departments from other hospitals will be accepted.
When the individual has submitted all required documentation, the Volunteer Office will send the file to Employee Health for review.
Employee Health will not store health records and will not be able to provide health records for volunteers. Volunteer applicants must assume responsibility for their own health records.
When the records are approved, the volunteer applicant will be notified for an interview.
How to Submit Volunteer Applicants’ immunization Records
Make sure to clearly mark the Volunteer Applicant’s name on each page.
- You or your doctor’s office can fax records to Volunteer Services Office (Fax: 425.899.1997 Attn: Volunteer Services)
- Upload records files as part of your online application
- Mail to: Volunteer Services, EvergreenHealth MS 73, 12040 NE 128th Street, Kirkland, WA 98034.
Need a Primary Care Provider for Your Test?
If you need to find a Primary Care provider for your tests, we have providers in clinics around the community. Click here to locate a provider near you.
Costs of immunizations and TB testing will be at the expense of the volunteer applicant. Our staff can tell you which insurance plans they accept.