Benefits of bariatric surgery
Every surgical weight loss patient has a different perspective on how the surgery has changed their lives.
Maybe it's being able to participate again in an activity, such as hiking or running, that they haven’t been able to do because of their weight. Maybe it's sleeping better, or just being able to keep up with their children or grandchildren.
From a medical standpoint, surgical weight loss may:
- Improve any chronic obesity-related conditions and reduce the need for prescription medications for diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol
- Increase your life span
- Improve your long-term weight loss results
- Reduce or eliminate sleep apnea
- Improve your self-esteem, energy level and personal sense of well-being
Do I qualify for bariatric surgery?
Here are some general guidelines to determine if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery. Several factors are taken into consideration, starting with your BMI and other coexisting medical conditions.
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of over 35, or
- You have a BMI of over 30 and are experiencing severe negative health effects, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, related to being overweight
- You are more than 100 lbs. over your ideal body weight, or
- You are unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, in spite of prior weight loss efforts
Calculate your BMI using these tools from the National Institutes of Health:
BMI Calculator - English BMI Calculator - en Español
Bariatric surgery at EvergreenHealth
Our bariatric surgical program is accredited as an MBSAQIP Comprehensive Center by the American College of Surgeons. That means you can rest assured that our program has been through a rigorous review process and meets the highest standards.
We also have these insurance designations:
- Aetna Institute of Quality
- OPTUM Bariatric Center of Excellence
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery
Your surgical options
EvergreenHealth Weight Loss & Bariatric Care offers these surgical options:
We also offer revisional and conversion surgeries.
What to expect before and after weight loss surgery
Our team approach
It's important to understand that weight loss surgery does not cure obesity—it is a tool to help you transform your life. You must also change your lifestyle, nutrition and activity in order to reach your goals.
Our team is here to support your weight loss journey from your very first consultation, through surgery, recovery and beyond.
This includes preoperative and postoperative education and support, focusing on three pillars to help you reach your goals:
- Fundamentals of a whole foods diet
- Changing lifestyle habits and behaviors
- Activity, movement and play