Days Before Surgery
2 Days Before Surgery
- You will be called between 3:30-7 p.m. and given your admission time for surgery. If you like, you can contact Inpatient Registration at (425) 899-2717 after 3:30 p.m. to get your time.
- Occasionally your time might be subject to change due to care needs. We will ask you for a contact number where you can be reached on the day of your surgery should your time change.
- Don't shave areas over or near your surgical site for at least 48 hours prior to your surgery.
1 Day Before Surgery
- After midnight on the night before your surgery, you will be expected to have nothing to eat or drink. This includes gum, LifeSavers, breath mints, cough drops, cigarettes or chewing tobacco.
- Failure to fast may result in cancellation of your surgery.
- Please shower in the evening with an antibacterial soap and do not apply lotions or deodorants. You will be asked to repeat this in the morning prior to your arrival.
- Prudent personal hygiene with good hand-washing minimizes the risk of infection.
- Outpatients are not allowed to drive for a minimum of 24 hours after surgery and must have someone with them overnight after surgery.
- Taxi rides home are only allowed when a caregiver is accompanying you.
- Fill any prescriptions your surgeon has given you prior to surgery, and make sure you have enough of your daily medications for the next one-to-two weeks.
- Stock your home with groceries and any other home needs. Plan on a small light meal after surgery. If no special diet restrictions are given by your surgeon, you can eat normally. Drink plenty of water (6 to 8 glasses).
Continue on to:
Day of surgery
Surgical services passport