Choose a skilled EvergreenHealth internal medicine doctor for excellent primary care of people 18 and older. You'll benefit from an internist who has deep expertise in treating people at every stage of adult life.
Think of your internist as a family doctor for adults. They help manage all your health concerns, especially if you have more than one chronic (long-lasting) condition. This type of doctor understands well how one disease can affect another disorder. They take time to learn your full health history so they can offer well-rounded care for all your needs.
Turn to your internal medicine doctor for expert care of a wide range of medical conditions that adults often experience:
- Acute illness – respiratory disease, sinus problems, bladder infections, rashes, headaches
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Digestive health problems
- Heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Menstrual issues
- Sleep trouble
- Mental health
Referrals to Specialists
In some cases, your internist will refer you to a specialist in your condition for more services. The specialist will tell your primary care doctor about any tests and treatments you receive. That means you'll get coordinated care that helps you achieve the best possible outcome.
Internal Medicine Services
Depend on your internist for services that help prevent and treat diseases:
- Preventive care, such as checkups, physicals, and annual exams to look at your overall health
- Medications that manage your symptoms
- Guidance on managing chronic conditions
- Lifestyle recommendations, including nutrition and exercise advice
- Reproductive health care, including fertility services, birth control, treatment for sexual concerns, sexually transmitted infections
- Screenings, which look for signs of medical conditions before you notice symptoms
- Travel counseling
- Advance directives/care planning