Birth Control | Family Planning
For women intending to prevent pregnancy, Evergreen Women's Health Center offers birth control counseling to discover the method that would work best for you. Some methods include:
If you're thinking about getting pregnant, taking care of your health is more important than ever. Women who are contemplating becoming pregnant are filled with questions and concerns. Though many of those decisions come from you, some can be handled or discussed with your physician. If you are planning to begin trying for pregnancy soon, now is the time to consider your health and ensuring a healthy physical environment for your baby.
If your insurance covers a pre-pregnancy visit, (or if you choose to pay out of pocket if it's not covered), visit your obstetrician in person. Items that can be discussed are: ovulation and timing, prenatal vitamins, over-the-counter or prescription medications, prenatal testing, exercise and other questions or concerns you may have. Otherwise, the following considerations may be helpful:
- Begin making healthy eating choices.
- Start an exercise routine that you can carry on throughout your pregnancy. You should consult with your doctor if you are beginning a new exercise program.
- Stay up to date with your annual exams, if you are not current with your annual exam, having a complete physical examination may be necessary to determine your own health. You will also want to be sure you are up to date on your immunizations.
- Begin taking prenatal vitamins. It's very important for you to begin getting adequate folic acid.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Talk with your physician about any recreational, prescription, over-the-counter or herbal drugs you may be taking. Some medications can be harmful during pregnancy. See our list of Safe Medications During Pregnancy under the Pregnancy Care FAQ section.