EvergreenHealth Midwifery Care is pleased to offer you and your family the option of a midwife delivery at the Family Maternity Center.
Our certified nurse-midwife deliveries offer high quality, low-intervention care in a safe and welcoming environment. They are backed 24/7 by obstetricians for collaboration and consultation when needed, along with access to a full range of services available through EvergreenHealth Medical Center.
Why choose a midwife birth?
Many women choose to partner with a midwife for pregnancy and birth because:
- Midwives view pregnancy as a normal physiological stage; they focus on supporting what is normal and minimizing unnecessary interventions.
- They help you have a healthy pregnancy and birth through education about your body and how to maximize your health during pregnancy.
- Midwifery care is woman-centered; the goal is to ensure that each woman has the birth experience she desires, whatever that means to her.
- Prenatal appointments with midwives tend to be longer.
- Midwives tend to spend more time by your side during labor—supporting you and watching for any health concerns.
- Midwives provide access to a host of pain relief options in labor, including massage, relaxation, use of a tub and epidural anesthesia if desired.
- Research indicates that women who choose a nurse-midwife have lower rates of labor induction, cesarean section and perineal trauma, along with higher rates of breastfeeding.
What is a Certified Nurse-Midwife?
In the state of Washington, there are two kinds of midwives: certified nurse-midwives and licensed midwives.
The midwives of EvergreenHealth Midwifery Care are certified nurse-midwives (CNM). They have completed a university-affiliated accredited nurse-midwifery program (with a dual degree in nursing and midwifery) and passed the national certification exam.
CNMs can attend deliveries in hospitals, birth centers, and homes, but 97% of births attended by CNMs occur in a hospital setting.
CNM's can prescribe medications and order diagnostic procedures when appropriate and medically indicated.
Meet a Midwife
This free 30-minute session will introduce you to the unique, personalized birthing experience offered by EvergreenHealth Midwifery Care.
Available dates and online registration