Rehabilitation for Parkinson's and Movement Disorders
The Rehabilitation Department at the Booth Gardner Parkinson's Care Center works alongside your medical team to provide care that focuses on your independence and quality of life as you deal with Parkinson's disease or movement disorders such as parkinsonism, dystonia, progressive supranuclear palsy, multi-system atrophy.
Your rehab team provides the following services:
- Assess your ability to perform functional mobility (bed mobility, transfers, gait) in a safe and independent manner.
- Assess your need for an assistive device for transfers or gait (transfer pole, cane, walker (4-wheeled walker, U-step walker), manual wheelchair, power wheelchair, electric scooter).
- Assess your strength and range of motion.
- Assess your balance and risk for falls.
- Develop a home exercise program targeting your specific needs and limitations.
- Assess your challenges with self care tasks, such as grooming, dressing and bathing, and make recommendations for assistive devices and home modifications.
- Look at your activities of daily living, such as homemaking, money management, medication management and day planner use, and teach compensatory techniques.
- Screen for deficits in your cognition and visual skills that would affect your activities of daily living and work on compensatory techniques.
- Assess your range of motion, muscle strength, coordination and core strength as well as fatigue challenges and provide you with a home exercise program to work on improving any areas of concern.
- For fatigue challenges, we'll show you how to conserve energy, simplify your work and build a daily routine that allows you to get done what needs to be done.
- Perform clinical driving evaluations. This assessment is not an on the road evaluation.
Speech and language pathology
- Assess and treat decreased volume and provide LSVT Loud treatment
- Assess and treat swallowing issues
- Assess and treat memory, word finding and cognitive changes
- Assess and treat speech, voice and communication changes
- Assess and provide assistance in obtaining augmentative (high or low tech) communication systems
- Provide coping/counseling for you and your spouse/caregivers
- Perform psychological and cognitive evaluations
- Provide psychological adjustment due to the chronic and progressive nature of the disease.
- Provide rehabilitation planning
Why choose EvergreenHealth for neurological therapy?
Care by licensed therapists. We take pride in providing hands-on, one-on-one care with a licensed therapist for your entire appointment. At most other rehab centers, the majority of your time is spent with aides or personal trainers.
Comprehensive care. EvergreenHealth Neurological Therapy has the benefit of offering all therapies—physical, occupational and speech—in the same facility. This means our therapists collaborate to provide care that is individualized for you and keeps moving you toward your goals. If you are dealing with coping issues, we also offer neuropsychology counseling. If secondary issues develop, such as pain, swelling or incontinence, we can refer directly to other EvergreenHealth programs for care.
Team approach. With all three therapies under one roof, staff can talk with each other and help point out concerns and offer suggestions. We also make sure that we aren’t overlapping services or neglecting an area of therapy. This might go unnoticed when the therapies are done at different locations.
Individualized scheduling. Outpatient therapy schedules are individualized to meet each patient’s needs. If you're traveling from out of the area, you can be scheduled for several consecutive days and go back with a home therapy program.
Rehabilitation Care covers the entire second floor of the EvergreenHealth Neuroscience, Spine & Orthopedic Institute. The vibrant space is designed to enhance your experience and promote well-being, and offers state-of-the-art equipment to make it a high-tech as well as high-touch rehab center.
The Institute is located in the DeYoung Pavilion on the southwest corner of the EvergreenHealth Kirkland campus. Free parking is available in the surface lot or in the underground garage.