Cancer Risk Reduction Clinic
Our Cancer Risk Reduction Clinic (CRRC) offers a three-tiered approach to cancer prevention.
- Assessment: Assessing your risk of getting cancer
- Prevention: Developing a plan for reducing your risk and preventing cancer
- Early Detection: Coordinating enhanced monitoring to promote early detection of cancer In this clinic we serve patients with suspected or known Hereditary Cancer Risk or High-Risk Breast Conditions.
Hereditary Cancer Risk
Approximately 5-10% of all cancers are hereditary. Hereditary cancers are caused by gene mutations (changes) that are inherited from one’s mother or father. These gene mutations cause a higher-than-normal risk for cancer.
High-Risk Breast Conditions
Just as heredity can be a risk factor, certain breast conditions may also significantly increase an individual’s risk of breast cancer. These risk factors are often identified during breast exams and procedures. Patients with such breast conditions may be referred to our clinic for further evaluation and ongoing care.
What to Expect
We conduct a comprehensive cancer risk assessment which may include:
- Collecting a detailed personal and family medical history
- Genetic counseling to understand the risks and benefits of genetic testing
- Genetic testing, when indicated
- Evaluating results from cancer screening tests such as mammograms, colonoscopies and PSA blood tests
- Assessing behaviors that may impact cancer risk
We partner with you to develop a personalized cancer prevention plan following expert guidelines. Your plan may include:
- Lifestyle and behavioral changes known to decrease cancer incidence
- Use of preventative medications or surgeries
We provide and coordinate care to increase early detection. Depending on individual risk, care may include:
- Enhanced cancer screening such as annual breast mammogram and supplemental screening MRI
- Referrals to clinics such as gastroenterology, urology, gynecology, or dermatology
- Education on signs and symptoms when cancers occur
For more information, please call (425) 899-5560 or email CancerRiskReduction@evergreenhealth.com