Health Administration Internship
Graduate Program in Health Services Administration
INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION - 2018
Position: Administrative Intern (Graduate Level)
Location: EvergreenHealth -12040 NE 128th Street, Kirkland, WA 98034-9917
Preceptor: Robert Malte, CEO
Preceptor: Juan Aragon, MD, Executive Director of Physician Services and Specialties
EvergreenHealth is an integrated healthcare system offering a breadth of services and programs among the most comprehensive in the region.
Formed in 1972 as a public hospital district, EvergreenHealth now serves nearly 850,000 residents of northern King and southern Snohomish counties, and has been ranked among the top 5% of healthcare organizations in clinical excellence six times in the past seven years.
In addition to the 318-bed acute care hospital on our main campus in Kirkland, EvergreenHealth also includes the 230-physician multispecialty EvergreenHealth Medical Group which provides 12 primary care centers, five urgent cares and 25 specialty care practices located throughout the Seattle east side.
The EvergreenHealth system also includes the 68-bed hospital EvergreenHealth Monroe, the Evergreen Emergency and Urgent Care Network, EvergreenHealth Home Care, EvergreenHealth Hospice Care, EvergreenHealth Partners, and EvergreenHealth Nurse Navigator and Healthline.
EvergreenHealth offers over 70 different clinical service lines, from primary care to specialty care, urgent care, and emergency care. From the family birthing center to senior care, from Healthline navigation calls to community education sessions, from the personal touch at every moment to the highest end technology, with every day and every moment our 3,700 staff and over 1,000 physician partners are dedicated to working together to enrich the health and well-being of every life we touch.
To further bolster our capabilities and extend access to services, EvergreenHealth has partnered with two other regional healthcare leaders, Overlake Medical Center and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, and with the Eastside Health Alliance. Together, we will advance the health of the community we serve through our dedication to quality, safe, compassionate, and cost-effective care.
INTERN'S SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend Administrative Council meetings with senior executive leaders.
- Attend Board of Commissioners meetings.
- Attend and participate in committee meetings chaired by senior executive leaders.
- Meet individually with senior leaders.
- Solicit, identify, and drive projects across all areas of the health system.
- Work with various directors and attend meetings across different departments.
- Participate in a Lean RPIW, and take Lean Foundations and New Leader Orientation courses.
Past Internship Projects:
- Conducted due diligence in business development opportunities, including the integration of a new acute care facility with EvergreenHealth.
- Developed a financial and operational model for the restart of a service line.
- Managed the onboarding of a brand-new clinic, including interviewing and hiring staff, facility preparation, managing inventory, etc.
- Developed a financial model for a joint neurohospitalist program with a partner hospital.
- Participated in RPIWs for surgical pre-authorization process and diagnostic imaging scheduling. Ran pilot programs for implementation.
- Managed implementation of Lean workflow management processes at primary care clinics.
- Created sports physicals sponsorship program with local school districts.
- Researched technologies and innovation in healthcare, created a catalog assessing and categorizing various technologies, and presented findings/recommendations to senior leadership and the Board of Commissioners for strategic planning purposes.
- Collaborated with quality team and nurse care managers to prepare Population Health Management Software for implementation.
- Conducted a process improvement time study to provide recommendations to optimize supply setup in new construction.
- Managed antepartum flooring replacement project, collaborating with nurses, managers, construction management, security, IT, and marketing to ensure seamless completion.
- Analyzed data, researched industry best practices, and created presentations/supporting materials to guide three breast cancer pathway design meetings.
- Developed a strategic plan for primary care growth in an emerging market, including a market assessment and SWOT analysis.
- Created an internal business case to scale a pilot technology across an institute of clinics, including a pro forma with appropriate risks and assumptions
- Led the reconciliation of operational/regulatory necessities to develop a new inpatient unit for patients awaiting behavioral health placement. Proposed and presented to the EvergreenHealth Foundation Board to secure remodel funding.
- Collaborated with director of strategic planning on evaluation of changing trends in Medicaid patient populations and how organization can position itself to innovate patient care
- Project lead on development of Post-Acute Care network, identifying and meeting with 7 skilled nursing facilities to combine efforts in quality improvement and cost variation reduction
- Developed internal business plan for expansion of product into a new optical service line
- Built an activity-based cost model to determine feasibility of offering flu shots in 3 Urgent Care clinic
- Drafted a policy for a formal Modified Duty Return-to-Work Program projected to generate in excess of $100,000 in savings
- Conducted space utilization survey of outpatient clinic to allocate depreciation across 6 departments
- Assisted in evaluation and improvement of data collection and analysis for readmissions at rural hospital to ensure optimal patient outcomes while maintaining minimal financial penalties
- Cover Letter (addressed to Juan Aragon, MD)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (1 from Current Professor)
Please send application materials in one PDF to Lee Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2018 at 5 p.m. PST.
Please note that the position is specifically for graduate students currently enrolled in an accredited MHA, MHSA, MBA or MPH program.
Applications Due: January 15, 2018 – 5 p.m. PST
Interviews: January - February 2018
Internship Length: 12 weeks
Start Date: June 2018