Fibric Acid Derivatives
Types of Medication
- Gemfibrozil (Lopid)
- Fenofibrate (Tricor or Lofibra)
Remember: These medicines are not a substitute for a heart healthy diet! They will work best only if you are choosing foods that are low in saturated fat.
Avoid heavy alcohol use (no more than 1 drink per day).
Possible Side Effects
- May increase the effect of the “blood thinner” warfarin (Coumadin).
- May cause upset stomach or diarrhea. These effects are minor and usually disappear over time. However, discuss these symptoms with your doctor if they continue more than one week.
- May cause anemia and low white blood cell count
- May cause muscle pains in less than 1 out of 100 people. (Report new muscle pains to your doctor; special tests may be needed.)
- Muscle side effects may be more common if used with a statin