PLEASE NOTE: There is a temporary FMC entrance for laboring women on 2-Red.
EvergreenHealth Midwifery Care in Monroe is pleased to offer option of a midwife delivery at the Family Maternity Center.
Why Choose Midwifery at EvergreenHealth?
Our certified nurse-midwife deliveries offer high quality, low-intervention care in a safe and welcoming environment. Choosing to partner with a midwife, also means you will be backed by obstetricians for collaboration when needed.
- Midwives view pregnancy as a normal physiological stage; they focus on supporting what is normal and minimizing unnecessary interventions.
- They support you have a healthy pregnancy and birth through education about your body and how to maximize your health during pregnancy.
- Midwifery care is client-centered; the goal is to ensure that each client has the birth experience they desire, whatever that means to them.
- Prenatal appointments with midwives tend to be longer
- Midwives spend more time by your side during labor—supporting you and watching for any health concerns.
- Midwives provide access to a host of pain relief options in labor, including massage, relaxation, use of a tub and epidural anesthesia if desired.
- Research indicates that clients who choose a nurse-midwife have lower rates of labor induction, cesarean section and perineal trauma, along with higher rates of breastfeeding.
What is a Certified Nurse-Midwife?
In Washington state, there are two types of midwives: certified nurse-midwives and licensed midwives.
The midwives of EvergreenHealth Monroe Midwifery Care are certified nurse-midwives (CNM) and Women's Health Nurse Practitioners (ARNP). CNMs can attend deliveries in hospitals, birth centers, and homes, but 97% of births attended by CNMs occur in a hospital setting.