Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test
The Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test measures your body’s oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide production while you ride a stationary bike at increasing difficulty.
This provides information about how your heart and lungs are functioning.
The test takes 120 minutes.
Special Preparations: (day of test)
- Arrive 15 minutes early to your appointment
- Bring your insurance card and any physician orders
- Ensure that you are well rested and adequately hydrated on the morning of the test
- Avoid a full stomach by not eating 2 hours before test
- Wear sturdy shoes such as sneakers; no sandals
- Wear loose fitting or comfortable clothing that will permit you to move your legs freely
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, tobacco or other stimulants within 8 hours of the test
- Take your regular scheduled medications as normal (unless otherwise instructed)
- Do not exercise for 24 hours prior to the test
- Do not apply skin lotion the day of testing (prevents heart monitor pads from sticking)
- No lipstick, lip balm or chap-stick
- No unwire bras (preferably a sports bra)
- Remove any nail polish (for quality pulse oximetry readings)