Buproprion SR (Zyban or Wellbutrin)
- Set a date to stop smoking
- Begin Buproprion SR one week (7 – 10 days) before your quit date.
Buproprion SR is not recommended if you:
- Have a seizure disorder
- Currently have or have had an eating disorder
- Are currently taking medication for depression
- Are pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant, or are breast feeding
How to take Buproprion SR
- Take one 150 mg tablet in the morning for three days
- On day 4 start taking one 150 mg tablet in the morning and one in the early evening *Make sure doses are at least 8 hours apart
- Continue taking Buproprion SR twice a day for 12 weeks or as long as your doctor prescribes.
- Never take an extra dose of Buproprion SR. If you forget to take a dose don’t take a “catch-up” dose.
- Buproprion SR and nicotine patches, gum, and/or lozenges can be used at the same time
Possible Side Effects
- The most common side effects include: dry mouth, difficulty sleeping, shakiness, and skin rash.
- Note: These side effects tend to be mild and disappear within the first two weeks
- Rare incidence of seizures.