Whole-Grain Lentil Casserole
This hearty recipe comes from Leslie Beck, RD, author of 12 nutrition books, including The Plant-Based Power Diet and Foods that Fight Disease.
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 6-cup casserole dish, combine stock, lentils, rice, tomatoes, wine, onion, garlic, thyme, basil, bay leaf, and pepper.
Cover with lid or foil and bake for 1½ hours, stirring two or three times. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings (1½ cups each) with 288 calories, 5 g fat, 43 g carbohydrates, 491 mg sodium, and 5 g fiber, plus 15 g protein.