Triple Chocolate Surprise Brownies
This recipe, from Health magazine’s website, is a sneaky way to get vegetables into kids or anyone with a sweet tooth.
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup thawed and squeezed dry frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 3 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Put black beans, olive oil, spinach, applesauce, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, cocoa, and espresso powder in a food processor; pulse for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Microwave bittersweet chocolate and butter in a glass bowl, stirring every 30 seconds or until smooth; cool for 5 minutes. Add chocolate, vanilla extract, and salt to processor; pulse to blend. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in flour and mini chocolate chips.
- Pour into an oiled 9- x 13-inch pan; top with chopped pecans. Bake for 25-30 minutes; cool for 15 minutes.
Makes 18 servings with 153 calories, 8g fat, 3g protein, 20g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 39mg cholesterol.