Published on June 16, 2020
Sweet Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed (any variety ok)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or nut of choice
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of choice or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup fresh ricotta
- In a small saucepan, cover the quinoa with the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Lightly fluff the quinoa with a fork and cover it again.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the fruit, maple syrup, orange zest and cinnamon and stir well until heated through.
- Add the quinoa to the skillet and stir gently to incorporate the almonds and apricots. Top each portion of quinoa with a tablespoon of ricotta and serve.
Make Ahead: The recipe can be made through Step 1 and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Reheat as needed or serve cold.
Recipe source: Adapted from Foodandwine.com