Sticks and Stones Snack Mix
From the Disney FamilyFun Magazine. Each ½ cup serving of this fun snack mix, which really looks like sticks and stones, has 3 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 26% of the recommended daily intake of iron
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup frozen orange or apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups oatmeal cereal squares (or other square cereal)
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Heat the oven to 300º. Place the butter, juice concentrate, and sugar in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds to melt the butter. Stir in the cinnamon.
- Spread the oatmeal squares, pretzels, and almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toss the pieces with the melted-butter mixture to coat. Bake the mix, stirring the pieces every 10 minutes, until the mixture is dry to the touch and the nuts are lightly toasted, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, then stir in the dried fruit. Let the mix cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. Makes about 7 cups.