Spiced Hot Chocolate
This recipe from Food.com kicks regular hot cocoa up a notch! The spices provide additional nutrients and antioxidants as well as bold flavor.
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest, grated (or a couple of drops of orange oil)
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nutmeg (to garnish)
In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, orange zest, and salt. Blend in water and heat to boiling. Boil gently for 1 minute. Mix in milk and vanilla and heat almost to boiling, but do not allow to boil. Remove whole spices, then beat with a mixer until frothy. Pour into mugs, garnish if desired, and serve hot.
Makes 2 servings (made with 1% milk) with 139 calories, 3 g fat, 21 g carbohydrates, 176 mg sodium, and 2 g fiber.