Slimmer Chocolate Crinkle Top Cookies
From: Nestle Toll House- Best Loved Cookies
Makes Approximately 3 dozen cookies
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 ½ cups Spelt Flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter softened
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Melt 1 cup of morsels in small heavy duty saucepan over lowest heat possible. When morsels begin to melt, remove from heat, stir. Return to heat for a few seconds at a times; stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Beat together granulated sugar, margarine, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Beat in melted chocolate; beat in egg whites. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with water. Stir in remaining morsels. Cover; refrigerate until firm.
- Shape dough into 1 ½ inch balls; roll in powdered sugar to coat generously. Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until sides are set but centers are slightly soft.
- Cool for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: 92 calories, 4 g fat, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g protein, 25 mg sodium