Recipe by Lisa, (2014). Healthy Nibbles. Retrieved from: https://healthynibblesandbits.com/basic-congee-recipe-jook/
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons dried scallops
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (olive oil works, too)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced into 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, add more to taste
- sliced scallions
- fried shallots
- chili oil
- Rinse the dried shrimp and dried scallops with water. Then, place them in a bowl and soak with 2/3 cup of water for 30 minutes. The shrimp and scallops should have plumped up a little. You can drain the water once you’re done soaking or save it. I usually save the water and use it to cook the porridge.
- Rinse the rice with 2 changes of water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the minced ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until they start to become fragrant. Add the rehydrated shrimp and scallops to the pot. Use the tip of a wooden spoon or spatula to break the scallops apart. This does not need to be too precise. Add the mushrooms and rice, and sauté for another minute.
- Carefully pour the broth and water into the pot. Sprinkle in the salt and stir. Bring the broth to a boil, uncovered. Then, turn the heat to low and cover the pot. I usually transfer the pot to a smaller burner so the congee cooks at very low heat. Let the congee simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- After an hour, check the congee to see if the consistency is to your liking. I like to leave the pot uncovered for 15 minutes so that the porridge cools and thickens. If you notice a small film form on the top of the congee, just stir everything before serving. Taste the congee and add more salt if necessary.
- Serve the congee in bowls. Have sliced scallions, fried shallots, chili oil, and sliced fried dough sticks on the side for topping.
*NUTRITION INFORMATION: Amount For 1/4 of Recipe: Calories: 286, Total Fat 6.4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 34 mg, Sodium: 1765 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 44.7 g, Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g, Sugar: 2.4 g, Protein 11.4 g