Rice and Walnut Loaf
This recipe, from nutritionists at Bastyr University, provides heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids and is a good source of potassium. The optional cashew gravy is delicious, but use it sparingly if you are watching calories or sodium.
- 1 1/4 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly roasted
- 1/4 cup onions, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roughly mix brown rice to slightly break the hulls. Mix all ingredients together. Press loaf mixture into pan. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and the internal temperature is 165 degrees (about 60-90 minutes).
Makes 8 servings with 170 calories, 11 g fat, 1 g fiber, 443 mg sodium, and 9 g carbs.