Published on June 16, 2020
Oven-Fried Squash Sticks
Try this recipe from Eating Well magazine with the squash from the seed you planted at our “Eat Well. Play More.” booth this summer. It works equally well with zucchini or summer squash and makes a great healthy party appetizer with a fraction of the fat and calories of deep-fried zucchini.
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, (about 3 medium), cut into
- 1/2-by-3-inch sticks 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a large sealable plastic bag. Dip zucchini in egg white, shake in the bag to coat, and arrange on the baking sheet – make sure no pieces are touching. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
- Bake on the center rack for 10 minutes. Turn the zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes more. Serve hot with marinara or cocktail sauce.