Lentil and Chickpea Burger
This recipe, from diet and fitness website SparkPeople, is another great choice for Meatless Monday.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Curry powder, to taste
- 1 3/4 cup (15 oz. can) chickpeas
- 3 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 1/4 cup bread crumbs, Italian style
- Add lentils to boiling water, simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- In nonstick pan, sprayed with cooking spray, cook onions until soft. Add curry powder and stir until fragrant. Cool mixture slightly.
- Place chickpeas, half the lentils, ginger, and egg and onion mixture in food processor bowl. Process 20 seconds or until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, stir in remaining lentils, parsley, cilantro, and bread crumbs; combine well.
- Divide mixture into 10 round patties (if mixture is too soft, refrigerate for 15 minutes to help firm). Place patties on hot, lightly greased grill. Cook 3/4 minutes on each side or until browned, turning once.
Makes 10 servings with 191 calories, 3 g fat, 34 g carbohydrates, 557 mg sodium, and 5 g fiber, plus 9 g protein.