Published on June 15, 2020
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Recipe by: Laurie Jesch-Kulseth @ Relishing It
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (whole wheat pastry flour works, too)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (warmed to the liquid state, but not hot)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet are the best, in my opinion)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or butter a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift, then whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa. Toss the chocolate chips into the mixture. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, thoroughly mix the honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and eggs together until uniform. Add the zucchini and mix until evenly coated.
- Combine the two bowls together, mix until everything is wet. Do not over mix. Evenly distribute the batter–1/4 cup per muffin is about right. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a tester inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for about 3 – 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Keeps well for days in an airtight container.