Published on June 06, 2020
Greek Stewed Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, approx. 2 lbs.
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons parsley
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Mix cinnamon, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Rub the chicken on all sides with the seasoning mix.
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet. Brown chicken on all sides. Do not crowd pan, you can do this in batches if needed. The chicken does not need to be cooked all the way through as it will be cooked further along. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions about 10 minutes on medium heat then add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more. Add water, tomato paste, and dried herbs. Place browned chicken back in the sauce and simmer on low for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over cooked orzo or any pasta or grain.