Fennel, Orange and Chickpea Salad with Creamy Yogurt Dressing
Copyright 2015, Korrin Fotheringham, MS, RDN, CD, Original recipe.
Enjoy this salad in the spring when fennel is crisp and sweet. Pair it with whole-wheat pita on the side and you have a satisfying vegetarian entrée.
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 5 tablespoons full-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced into fans
- 1 large orange, supremed* sections cut in half
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 cups lightly packed baby arugula
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- Optional whole-wheat pita
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the chili powder,lemon/lime juice and shallot in a bowl. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then whisk in yogurt, olive oil and honey; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To slice the fennel, chop off the green stalks and root of the bulb, then slice in half and cut around the core to remove and discard. Remove any outer leaves of the fennel bulb that may seem tough. Slice each half very thinly from top to root about 1/8-inch thick.
- *To supreme an orange, cut off the rind of the bottom of the orange to create a stable surface. Follow the outer later of the rind with your knife from top to bottom and remove the rind in pieces around the orange. Once all of the rind has been removed, cut out each section.
- Separate the mint leaves from the stalks and arrange in a pile. Roll the leaves up and slice to create very thin ribbons.
- Place the arugula and spinach in a large salad bowl and add all of the other salad ingredients on top. Mix salad dressing once more and pour half on top of the salad. Toss gently with tongs. Add the remaining salad dressing and toss once more. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Makes 6 generous servings.