Recipe: Cream of Asparagus Soup
Recipe by Danielle Premo
Gorgeous, delicious, quick, simple and oh-so spring. This soup is heavenly!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 pounds asparagus, chopped (tops removed and set aside)
- 3 teaspoons gluten free tamari, divided
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup cashews (soaked in water at least 2 hours)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil on medium heat. Add the onion and salt. Sauté for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Then mix in the ginger, chopped asparagus (remember to set the asparagus tops aside for later use), and 1 teaspoon tamari.
- Let the asparagus and ginger cook for 3 minutes, cover with the soup stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- While the soup simmers, heat the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the asparagus tops and remaining tamari. Mix well to coat all the asparagus tops, then turn the heat up to medium-high, stirring constantly for about two minutes or until the asparagus is lightly cooked. Remove the pan from heat, and use a slotted spoon to remove the asparagus tops to a plate.
- Check the asparagus in the soup pot. When they are tender and cooked all the way through, add the cashews, lemon, white pepper and basil. Bring back to a simmer, and then use an immersion to blender to make the soup creamy.
- Serve warm topped with the tamari braised asparagus tops.
Serves: 4 to 6