Classic Vegetable Minestrone with Lentils
Recipe by Danielle Premo
Once autumn comes around, I crave soups and stews constantly. This recipe has become one of my favorites. A big bowl of this and a nice green salad are perfect meal.
Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 ½ cups gray-green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 32 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups gluten-free macaroni shells, cooked (optional)
- Heat a large stock pot on medium heat. Add the grapeseed oil, onions, ume plum vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the onions are soft. Then add the celery and carrots and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and lentils. Stir in, and cover with the soup stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the lentils are almost cooked through. Then add diced tomatoes, red wine, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Bring to a boil again then reduce to a simmer for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve over the cooked macaroni shells if using pasta.
Serves: 6 to 8