Chai Tea Poached Pears
Recipe by Joyce Moon
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 medium pears (Bosc, Bartlett, or Anjou, slightly unripe preferable)
- 3-4 tea bags, black tea (Assam) or rooibos tea
- 4 cups water
- ½ - ¾ cup Honey
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Turn off heat, add tea bags and steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and heat water over med-high heat.
- Half pears lengthwise and scoop out core with a spoon or melon baller.
- Add honey, spices and vanilla bean to pot and combine. When boiling, add fruit.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook gently 15-30 minutes, until tender and translucent. Fruit should yield easily when pierced with a fork or paring knife. Test at thickest part of the pear.
- Remove from heat and cool.6.Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, crème fraiche, yogurt, or vanilla cashew cream.
Note: Pears can be poached and chilled up to 1 day ahead. Can be stored in the fridge in poaching liquid in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/2 pear; Calories: 43; Total Fat: 0.02 g, Total Carbohydrate: 15 g, Protein: <1 g, Fiber: 1.2 g, Sodium: 4 mg.