Published on June 15, 2020
Baked Quinoa with Spinach and Cheese
This casserole, from New York Times Recipes for Health, can be served as a main dish or as a side.
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated (approximately 1/4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil a 2-quart gratin or baking dish.
- Heat a medium frying pan or a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Wash the spinach and add to the pan while still wet to wilt in the liquid left on the leaves after washing. You may have to do this in two batches. Once the spinach wilts, remove it from the heat and rinse with cold water. Squeeze dry, chop, and set aside.
- Wipe the pan dry and heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir with the onion until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the quinoa, onion, and spinach mixture, Gruyere, and sage. Add freshly ground pepper and stir. Scrape into the gratin dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and drizzle on the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake until nicely browned on top, about 25 minutes. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes, then serve.